Friday, May 2, 2008

Spring cooking

Ah, fava beans. Aren't they great?

We had some last night, just mashed like they were potatoes, with a smidge of butter, cream, and salt. I served them as a side with pork roast and a salad.

Now frankly, I think the best way to have them is pureed with garlic and salt and served on crostini, but I didn't have any. Crostini, that is. I have no bread in the house at all, which puts me in a mild sort of panic. But we're heading out of town for a couple of days and I don't have time to make more. I'll get to it on Sunday, I promise.

I've been busier than usual, so cooking has been reduced to using the leftovers stored in my freezer, although I am still getting the CSA veggies every week and that gets me in front of the stove once in while. Hence, the fava bean fun.

Oh, and the peas! I love peas, always have. I remember chasing them around my plate as a child, making sure I got every last sweet morsel. My CSA is very generous with peas and I find, these days, my favorite way to eat them is raw, on a salad. Crunchy and sweet!

We also got the World's Best Strawberries in the box last week. They don't get any more perfect than those were, although I'm hoping for more that will be just as good. I made a sweet sauce with the last bit of my raw whole milk, a touch of stevia, and some cornstarch. Just mixed it together and microwaved it until it was slightly thick. I served the sauce with the sliced strawberries and a few amaretti cookies. A wonderful, light dessert!

No comments: