Friday, May 23, 2008

Chicken Dinner

Such a yummy dinner, last night. I thawed the whole chicken from the CSA, cut off its head and feet and proceeded to cut the thing in appropriate pieces. This is not something I do very often, but it didn't go too badly. I used the back and neck to make more broth for the freezer.

The rest I soaked in buttermilk, then dredged in a mixture of crushed cornflakes, coconut, and salt. I baked it at 400 for about 30 or 40 minutes, until it was crispy and cooked through. Served it with a homemade sweet-and-sour sauce (which runs circles around that sickly red stuff they serve in Chinese restaurants), and some steamed bok choy tossed in Mirin wine.

Oh, that chicken was good! The meat was tender and juicy, the crust was crusty, nutty and sweet. The whole thing was perfect with banana daiquiris. Sort of a tropical meal, even though the weather is cooling off.

No comments: