Sunday, June 14, 2009

Great Baked Beans

I'm wrestling with my weight, logging my food intake quite faithfully. So I know I'm keeping calories under 1400, most days, under 1200.

Haven't lost a pound. I exercising a bit too, mostly by dancing aroud the family room to Irish music.

You're forgiven if you don't want that image hanging around.

This has all led me to search diligently for interesting, low-cal recipes, that are - wait for it - made with Real Food. So I'm delighted to report on this great recipe for Baked Beans, from www.veggiemealplans.com. I tweaked it a bit, and cooked it in the slow cooker, but these are great - and only 232 calories for a whole cup!

Stove-Top Sweet and Spicy Beer "Baked" Beans

2 tsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 sweet bell pepper, diced
2 garlic cloves
4 cups cooked navy beans, drained
1 bottle of your favorite beer
4 tbsp cider vinegar
4 tbsp light molasses
4 tbsp brown sugar
3 tbsp tomato paste
1 heaping tbsp mustard, any kind (I used Dijon)
1 chipotle pepper, diced
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp allspice

Heat oil in a pot and saute the onions, bell pepper, and garlic until softened. Add all remaining ingredients and simmer uncovered for about 30 minutes, or until thickened to desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Makes about 5 cups

No comments: