Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Bacon Success

It's bacon!

This stuff is so good, that once again, I'm flummoxed trying to understand why people of a certain bygone generation ever let themselves be seduced away from Real Food.

I truly do not understand it. This was not even very hard to do, although I realize I have a refrigerator and an oven and plastic bags... maybe it was a little harder for our ancestors.

After its day of rest in the frig, getting nice and dry, I put the bacon in the oven, 200 degrees for about 2 1/2 hours. I tested it with a thermometer and took it out when it got to 150 degrees.









Then I started slicing. This takes patience...









Of course, as the Chief Cook and Bottle Washer, I had to fry some up and make sure it passed the Taste Test:







Isn't that gorgeous?






Here's the pile of sliced bacon:








I wrapped these in packages of four slices, since two each is the most we can have at one serving (proving I do TRY to show constraint). It all went into the freezer to await Saturday morning pancakes.

The taste was deep and rich. Next time, I will probably use less mixture - less salt and less sugar. I may even leave the sugar out and keep it savory, trying out various herbs. I definitely want to do this again!

1 comment:

Bryan in Oakland said...

Looks great.
I made some bacon too last month. Pretty easy and tasted good. (I like maple bacon). I think I could do a smoke on it also with my weber, but I too just baked it for a couple hours. I never realized bacon was really cooked when you buy it.