Monday, April 19, 2010

Cauli-flower

My friend Nicole has a thing for roasted cauliflower. I have tried do this, but never got more than an "eh" reaction. I just can't seem to get into cauliflower, certainly not with Nicole's passion.

Mind you, I've eaten Nicole's roasted cauliflower. Somehow, she manages a sweep of magic that eludes me. Hers was marvelous. Mine is "eh."

I do like it steamed.

Truly. A full head, washed and placed in the steamer basket and cooked to a fork-denting softness. Brush a little olive on it, sprinkle generously with salt and pepper...

It's really quite good.

But I just might have gotten the hang of this roasting thing.

Instead of breaking the head into dozens of tiny florets, I slice it thinly. All the way across. I brush the slivers with olive oil, apply the salt and pepper, and oh... oh... then I sprinkle them with vinegar.

Yeah. Vinegar.

And roast. Until crisp.

Have you ever had those salt-and-vinegar potato chips?

It's kind of like that.

I could nibble away at the entire bowl, except then I'd be doubled over with gas pains.

Yeah, I've learned to make awesome roasted cauliflower.

It just hasn't learned to get along with me.

1 comment:

nicole said...

I just saw this now ... I am so sorry cauliflower doesn't agree with you! Darn that cauliflower. Luckily there are so many other vegetables to enjoy I think it'll be OK :) And yes indeed, I do have a 'thing' for roasted cauli ... Hope you're well!