Thursday, May 27, 2010

Lovely Salads

I've been experimenting lately with vegetarian offerings. I have Deborah Madison's The Green's Cookbook, based on recipes they use in their restaurant. I've had it for years, but don't use it much, since most of the recipes require a lot of time and patience.

Yeah, that patience thing is a killer.

But the recipes are invariably Worth It, once they are done. I always have such a feeling of accomplishment when I finish one. The food is terrific, too. And I can't deny I enjoy myself while I'm making these dishes - this is Real Cooking, if you know what I mean.

So the other day featured one of Deborah's "Salad Plates".

Black Bean and Pepper Salad (p. 18) with Easy Onion Pickles (p. 49)
Avocado with Sweet Pepper Relish (p. 319)
Sliced radishes
A crumbly white cheese, which I didn't exactly have, so I used Cowgirl Creamery's Mt. Tam, which I did have, and I must say it was a perfect choice.
Homemade tortilla chips, with the full disclosure that no, I did not make the tortillas from scratch. I just cut up some organic, sprouted-corn tortillas, brushed them olive oil, sprinkled them with salt, and baked them in the oven.

Here, see:










Isn't it, indeed, lovely?



Worth every minute.

No comments: