Monday, May 10, 2010

Easy Mother's Day

Any excuse for a party, right? If "Mother's Day" gets my kids over for a few hours, I'm all for it.

As it turned out, most of the kids didn't make it, but Lydia and the two oldest grandkids DID! We played croquet in between rain showers. I won - but only because we didn't have enough balls and I had to partner with my husband, who is very good at croquet.

I always lose, you see.

But the food was a winner: Chicken Panini and a salad. Now that's easy.

I cooked chicken breasts on my grill pan.


Then I made some secret sauce. But I'll tell you what was in it.

Remember that apricot brandy I made last Fall? Remember that I couldn't bear to throw out the brandy-infused apricots? So I froze them. Those apricots were the base for yesterday's sauce, after I put them through the food processor:


Then I simply added  mayonnaise and Dijon mustard and stirred well:


I bought some flat bread for the sandwiches, added cheese, onion slices, and lettuce, then grilled them in my waffle iron:

Mmmm....

Even better (or just as good, anyway) were the Alfajores for dessert. These Peruvian cookies are made with lots of cornstarch, so they're a little weird. The filling is caramelized sweetened condensed milk. The recipe was in the newspaper last weekend and I thought they sounded good.


They were. Easy to eat a lot of those things.

No comments: