Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Thanksgiving Plans

I get to cook nearly everything this year - a real treat for me! I'm brining the turkey, which is probably old hat to everyone, but since I don't usually do the turkey, I've never tried this before.

The brine is made and is cooling in the frig. Tomorrow morning, we'll pack the turkey in it and load it into our cooler with lots of ice.

Tomorrow, I also need to make the cornbread for the stuffing (something else I haven't had for a long time, since I don't do the turkey) and I'll make the sweet potato casserole, too. That leaves the oven clear for turkey and stuffing on Thursday. I've decided to forego dinner rolls, this year. I like to make the rolls, but really, why would we need more bread?

I will probably also do the prep work tomorrow, for the green bean/mushroom salad and the sauteed shredded brussels sprouts, and maybe the giblet gravy to use as stock for the stuffing. Thursday, I'll make the mashed potatoes and the stuffing. Appetizers are just crackers and cheese. Our guests are bringing the dessert (a lemon pudding cake) and I already have the pumpkin ice cream done.

So, um... it looks like Wednesday is my big cook day and Thursday is finish-up-and-set-the-table day.

I love to cook!

No comments: