Thursday, February 7, 2008

New Vegetables

Ever had romanesco? Me either.

I got a couple of these pretty veggies in my CSA box. Romanesco are FRACTAL veggies. But that's just how they look.

These aren't the kind of thing most people will pick up if they see them in the store. Most likely, they'll say "are you supposed to EAT that?" and they'll walk on by. And that's if you even see them in the store. I don't believe I ever have.

But they're good. I cut them into eighths and steamed them. Real simple. Sprinkled a bit of salt and pepper on them and that's all they needed. These were bursting with flavor, but I have to warn you: they were in my CSA box, so were just harvested. Although they did sit in my frig for a few days.

Bascially, anything you can do with broccoli or cauliflower, you can do with romanesco. If I get more, I want to make a quiche with leeks, kalamata olives and feta cheese. Sounds good, no?

No comments: