Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Using Food

Chocolate is on my mind because I've been hired to bake some goodies for an Event. Chocolate goodies. Oh please, make me work for a living.

I made more waffles this morning for our freezer stash and I need to cook the butternut squash. I also need to make a sauce out of the oranges. Both of these things were in last week's CSA box. Today is pick up for the next one. The green vegetables always go fast, but the roots not so. And I think I've mentioned how Not Big I am on fruit.

I've always been this way. Except for berries and some tropical things, I prefer my fruit to be sauced. So apples, pears, oranges - all the old standbys get put in a pan and cooked. Sometimes, I'll can them, so they keep on the shelf for a while. Otherwise, I freeze them in smallish batches and pull them out as needed. I eat some everyday, usually at breakfast, but that's about it. I like to use them with meat entrees, too. Dried fruit is good for that, too.

Even bananas I prefer in a smoothie or something. I won't eat raw pineapple at all - it always has to be cooked. But I really do like it when it's cooked. Especially upside down in a cake...

I think I'll throw the squash in the oven and have some for lunch. I'll freeze the rest for soup or something later.

It all gets used!

No comments: