Monday, March 24, 2008

Spring Work

I can tell that Spring is going to make demands. I hope I never give the impression that I think eating local, in-season food is easy. It doesn't have to be hard, but it does take some planning. And some time of actual doing.

Every week, when I get that CSA box of produce, I have to process it. This happens on Wednesday evening, and must be done, even if I've been cooking all day and just got home. Now, it's not an impossible job. But at the very least, I have to bag everything up and refrigerate it, or store it in the appropriate basket on the counter. If I'm exhausted, this is as far as I get.

If possible, I try to start using things right away. One or two vegetables can be used for dinner. Fruit can be prepped for breakfasts. If I have time, I like to make a quiche using the spring onions and greens that are in most boxes. I can package the quiche in individual servings and heat one up for a quick breakfast. If there are radishes or cucumbers that can be used for salads, I like to wash and chop them, so they are ready to toss into a salad (or in that quiche!). This all helps to make sure we actually eat the veggies, rather than tossing them our compost pile.

Spring is also planting time and I'm busy with that, too. I've got some seedlings growing and I'm adding compost to the garden bed to prep it. And as the seedlings get to the harvest stage (see how hopeful I am?) then I'll need to make sure I eat or preserve them all, so THEY don't end up on the compost.

I'm also on the lookout for fresh, local eggs. At this point, I just haven't found a consistent source. Yeah, I'd love to have my own chickens, but it's not in the cards for now. Maybe someday.

Have you had the asparagus, yet? It's here and it's wonderful. Grab it while it's in season!

No comments: