Monday, March 10, 2008

The World Outside

Let's see: in recent news, we have drugs in our water, raw milk dairies under attack, a drastic upcoming year for salmon fishing, and farmers cutting down trees because they don't have the water to give them. While other farmers are deliberately plowing under fields and selling water at exorbinant prices - water they received at a huge discount from the state.

So what am I going to talk about?

My garden. Because today, I am excited about my garden.

Mind you, my garden is a wishful thought more than anything else, but I have one, and every year, I try again to actually grow something. I started a compost a year or two ago, and yesterday, as I was turning it -

I saw worms.

Lots of worms. I had been thinking of ordering worms through the mail, so that I'd have plenty of these earth-turners and compost-builders in my pile. But I never got around to it and now, they are here.

I turned the pile gently and made sure as many as possible were safely tucked inside. I figured the rest would find their way over on their own.

Good times.

Yesterday, too, I got up on my step stool and watered the seeds I planted in little cartons and have sitting on top of my refrigerator.

And I saw little green shoots.

You have no idea how amazing this is to me. Plants just don't grow for me, but several of my seeds - sown with bated breath and daring hope - are actually beginning to sprout. I wait with anxious anticipation to see what happens next.

Gaia has her work cut out for her in my yard. I hope she's pulling for me.

No comments: