Friday, September 28, 2007

Pumpkins!

I love pumpkins. I like squash in general and winter squash is sweet and yummy. I love the autumn feel that comes with seeing a grouping of vibrant, colorful gourds on a table or in a bowl. And we can do so much with this fabulous food!

For me, there's nothing better than pumpkin soup (unless it's French Onion Soup - I'll have to get back to you on that). Orange, warm, smooth pumpkin soup served in the shell: wow. And so good!

How about Pumpkin Mashed Potatoes? This great idea comes from Jessica Prentice of Wise Food Ways and I make it every Fall. Just peel up some butternut squash, white potatoes, and sweet potatoes, boil them up, drain the water, and mash them with creme fraiche or buttermilk or yogurt, salt, nutmeg, mace, or allspice. These are fabulous!

A big hit at my house is Cooking Light's Sweet Potato Casserole. Feel free to substitute butternut squash for this, too. I'll pass on the marshmallows (fake food - sigh) but I'll use the brown-sugar-butter-pecan topping.

This is all great comfort food, but remember that these orange-fleshed foods provide nutrients needed at just this time of year. They're good for you! Be sure to look for them at a farmer's market or find a farmer who's growing them. Buy them local and hopefully, organic. You'll really notice a difference in taste!

No comments: