Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Leftover Soup

I’m sure you know that I mean soup made out of leftovers. Must eat more vegetables! I’ve been saying this to myself for years and progress is painfully slow. I really like bread. I like cheese. I LOVE corn chips and salsa (with cheese or without). So my sincere attempt to add vegetables sometimes involves throwing these things on salad. But I’m nowhere near the several servings a day I need.

So – today, I made soup. I didn’t have much in the frig: my main goal was to use up the celery. You know how it is. You need one stalk of celery for a recipe and what do you do with the rest? So I cut it up, along with an onion. I sweated these in a little olive oil, then added a can of chicken broth. There was a rind of parmesan cheese in the frig, so I threw that in and let it all cook a bit. Then I took out the rind, mashed the vegetables with my stick blender (I love my stick blender), added a bit of milk and some leftover frozen mixed vegetables that had been hiding in the freezer.

A little salt, pepper and parsley: great soup! I’m sure the parmesan rind helped a lot. I’m going to save these from now on for just this purpose!

I didn’t skip the bread: I had some croutons I threw in there. I’m big on crunch. But I ate extra veggies, today! And I have more soup for tomorrow!

No comments: