Monday, October 1, 2007

Easy Breakfast

Mornings are hard on people. Getting ourselves and various family members to all the places we have to be, is stressful. It's a shame really, because mornings are such a beautiful time of the day. The world seems peaceful and clean as the sun rises and the birds start to sing and hop around the yard. Mornings should be a time for thoughtfulness and serenity, sipping our coffee or tea and just enjoying the start of the day.

Yeah. Right.

Okay, it's not like that at your house, is it? Not here, either, I'm afraid. But there are a few things you can do to not only make your morning easier, but healthier, too. Now there are lots of web sites that will teach you about making your bed as soon as you get out of it (I do this and it really helps) or how to greet the sun with a yoga position (I do this sometimes). I'm not going to get into those tips.

But - waffles. Yes, I can tell you about waffles.

My kids loved Eggos when they were little and even then, I cringed whenever they ate them. I hated to buy them. Fake food at its worst. And usually, I got up quite early and made the kids a fresh, homemade breakfast. It's my favorite meal and I love all kinds of things for breakfast, so it was for me as much as it was for them. But they would beg for Eggos. Go figure.

My husband loves Eggos, too. But I'm NOT eating them. He agreed, that if I could find a waffle recipe that made waffles he liked and could just pop in the toaster, he would eat those. The guantlet was thrown and I immediately took up the challenge.

So here's the recipe, found on Cooking Light.com. I make a double batch, let them cool on racks, and store them in the freezer in those gallon-size plastic bags. Take out one or two, throw in the toaster and there you are. Easy waffles made with organic whole grains, flaxseed meal, free-range eggs and organic milk. Not a preservative in sight.

I add a cup of walnuts and extra cinnamon to my batter and I use a normal, thin-size waffle maker. These fit into the toaster better.

I encourage you to give it a try. Eat Real Food!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent breakfast idea. But, just try to find a waffle machine without non-stick. We're the only source that I know of, and have many happy customers using waffle irons built in the 1920s to the 1960s that are refurbished and returned to active duty.