Thursday, January 10, 2008

The Continuing Saga of Celtic Folklore Cooking

Breads, Porridges, and Breakfast Foods

This entry could amount to the confessions of a breakfast junkie. I love breakfast. I'm not sure I've missed one in years, unless I was scheduled for a cholesterol check.

I eat a variety of dishes for breakfast. Hot cereal, pancakes, waffles, muffins, eggs, bacon, potatoes, toast... I take them all at one time or another.

You know what my favorite is?

Oatmeal.

Yep. Plain, old-fashioned oatmeal, with butter, brown sugar and milk. No raisins, please.

These days, I've altered it a bit, going for honey, cream, and cinnamon. Sometimes I'll put applesauce in it, but I prefer it the plainer way. Complete, homey goodness.

Well, you can imagine that a book on Celtic cooking would have recipes for porridge. You'd be right, too.

1 cup water (or half water, half milk)
3 tbsp oatmeal
dash of salt

Add the oats to the water and bring to a boil. Add the salt and stir at a low heat for about five minutes.

Please don't use those horrid instant oatmeal packets. If those are in your house, throw them away at once!

I'll wait.

Did you know fairies like porridge, too? It's in there. There's also Pratie Oaten (potatoes and oatmeal fried in butter), Burstin, Flummery, and Furmenty, and I'm not making that up.

That's just the first few pages of this section. There are fritters (oh, how I want to try Elder Flower Fritters), pancakes, Hot Cross Buns, and Boxty.

Did you know that Cinnamon Toast used to be made with claret mixed with the sugar?

There are bread recipes (soda, rhubarb, or onion), scones, Crescent Moon Rolls, Dumbcake (I'm not certain one is supposed to eat that), corn dollies and pumpkin bread.

Did the Celts have pumpkin? I thought that was New World.

Doesn't it sound wonderful? Makes you long for morning, so you can put on a pot of tea and have breakfast.

No comments: