Sunday, January 6, 2008

Eating on Vacation III

Yesterday, I rambled on about Filippi’s. Great Italian restaurant. But the real reason we visit Oceanside (well – except for the relatives) is Marieta’s Mexican Restaurant.

Right in Oceanside, Marieta’s has lovely, homey Mexican food. I grew up in Tucson and I’m truly picky about Mexican food. I like the Real Thing, spicy and tasty. And please don’t give me a Margarita made with that horrid sweet & sour stuff. Use a lime, please. Sugar isn’t even necessary, as far as I’m concerned.

Like most Mexican places, they start you with chips – thin, lightly fried, and slightly salty. The salsa is finely blended, with generous use of cilantro and peppers. Some people might like it to be milder, but I’m happy. They also give you a little bowl of spicy, marinated carrots and onions. My husband’s 12-year old nephew and I agree to share these and we always have to ask for more. Such good stuff!

The food is simply good. I’ve never had a bite of anything that wasn’t top-notch. Well, until this time. I had to agree with my father-in-law: the rice was not up to standard. It was just blah. I didn’t notice until he mentioned it, because I always mix my rice and beans and add salsa (a habit from childhood). And frankly, lately I’ve taken to avoiding the rice in Mexican restaurants, because it’s always white rice. No fiber and waste of calories as far as I’m concerned. But I tried it here and when I tried a spoon of rice alone, it was like eating air.

Rice aside, everything else was better than ever. The beans are made the way your Mexican grandmother would make them, if you have one of those. I had the pollo mole and it was spicy and good. My husband always has the chili Colorado and he’s always happy with it.

There’s nothing exotic here, just typical Mexican food for Americans, so you get the enchiladas and tacos and burritos. They do have an extensive seafood section, with lots of fresh catches, all cooked with generous spices or sauces. The grilled shrimp is fabulous. There is also a popular Sunday brunch, but I’ve never done that.

Even though it’s typical food, it’s truly good. A big step above the usual chain places and I wish we had something like it in my neighborhood. There’s not much that’s good east of the Caldecott Tunnel. There are a couple of places I like in Berkeley – Mario’s and Cancun – but we never go to Berkeley to eat (wish we did). We always joke that for good Mexican food, we need to go to Oceanside.

No comments: