Thursday, January 3, 2008

Eating While On Vacation I

I find it amusing that vacations are so much to be desired, anticipated with relish, planned for, saved for and “yeah, we’re finally going!” But one thing that always has to be put aside, is healthy eating. I know that people who are on diets experience this. Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, whatever you’re doing, you can’t do it on vacation.

Just eating a healthy diet is practically impossible.

Visiting family is the worst. I love these people. I don’t want to offend them. So I always approach the visit with the idea that I’ll eat whatever is offered and keep my mouth shut. It’s just for a few days, after all. A few days of processed food won’t kill me.

But, I do what I can.

My husband and I have started packing up some food to take with us. We used to be coffee snobs, until coffee began causing stomach problems and we had to give it up. But all the relatives are used to us showing up with our bag of Peet’s coffee and taking over their coffee pots early in the morning. We always offered to make enough for them, but they usually turned us down. They wanted wimpy coffee, preferably flavored with hazelnut or something. So we’d make our coffee, then wash the pot and leave it available for them to make theirs.

As we’ve begun eating a more natural diet, we’ve added things to packed food. Breakfast at the relatives’ homes is always a do it yourself option. So my husband packs his cereal and raisins and nuts, as well as a few bananas. ‘Course, the relatives usually have bananas; we just bring what we have to use them up. I bring my grains for hot cereal, some of my canned fruit sauce, local honey, some cream and my homemade yogurt. We now bring green tea instead of coffee.
I usually throw in a bottle of brandy or gin, too. Most of my husband’s relatives don’t have hard liquor in the house and I get antsy after a week.

Once we’ve arrived, I offer to cook, at least one meal. More, if they’ll let me. Then I hit the produce section and buy the freshest stuff I can find. Most of the grocery stores are things like Vons or Wal-Mart, so I’m rarely happy with the state of the produce. But it doesn’t come in a can.

I spend a lot of time biting my tongue in the eternal effort to stick to my resolution and not say anything about the food. I don’t give suggestions when they talk about what’s for dinner. I don’t refuse to eat at any particular restaurant (except Denny’s. They all know I won’t eat at Denny’s.
So far, no one has suggested McDonald’s so I’ve been spared that.)

I eat Aunt Jemima pancakes and Jimmy Dean sausage on the one day when breakfast is a group effort. I eat the Betty Crocker Salad, which I truly do not understand, and I ignore the white bread and margarine. If we’re going to be eating sandwiches, we’ll usually buy some whole grain bread at the store, assuring everyone that we wouldn’t dream of eating all their Wonder Bread.

I think it’s hilarious. And I hope I’m not coming across as snobbish, critical, or hateful. The simple fact is, I don’t eat the way most people do, and when I’m visiting, I’m putting my food preferences on hold.

No, I don’t need a medal. But when they come to my house – it’s my turn.

No comments: