Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Tortas and leverage

After cooking for a client all day, I don't necessarily want to come home and cook for us. Usually I have plenty of already-prepared meals in the freezer, so on days I'm working, I have it ready to heat up. But I saw this recipe over at Mental Masala Blog and I had to try it. After all, I had the swiss chard, already.

Torta verde: a savory pie from Italy

I used whole wheat flour instead of white flour and replaced the potato with a yam (I didn't have any potatoes). But the crust turned out flaky and good and oh boy, was that filling delicious!

I tried something different with the dough. Usually, I have the hardest time rolling out dough. It never gets thin enough or wide enough and I always give up. I know what most of the problem is: I'm too short. It's hard to get good leverage when whatever you're rolling is practically at chest level.

So yesterday, I pulled out the kitchen stool and stood on that. What a difference! The dough was thin and hugely round and it was almost perfect!

It's a pain to drag the stool out, but probably worth it for all kinds of things. I'm thinking kneading, especially. That's another thing that's exhausting and not always successful. Leverage is the thing.

No comments: