Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Last night's dinner

I love waking up to foggy mornings. The world looks clean and mysterious and cool. Watching the mist while tucking in with a bowl of hot cereal and some green tea is a great feeling.

I'm taking a break from cookbook recipes to talk about the easy and yummy meal we had last night. But what to call it?

Bourbon and Mushroom Pork Chops (does that sound okay?)

I had two very thick pork chops and I know from experience that thick chops have trouble cooking all the way through. So I figured I'd have to bake them.

I started with 1/4 onion, finely chopped and a bunch of oyster mushrooms, also chopped. I browned these in a bit of butter over medium-high heat, using a skillet that can also go in the oven.

Once they were thoroughly browned, I moved them to the side of the pan and placed the chops in the center (sprinkling them generously with salt & pepper, first). The chops had plenty of fat, so I didn't use any extra oil.

When the chops were brown, I put them on a plate and sprinkled about 1 or 2 tbsp of flour over the mushrooms and onions. I let it cook for a minute, stirring it the whole time, then poured in 1/4 cup Kentucky Bourbon, scraping the pan to bring up the browned bits. Then I added about 1/2 cup nonfat milk and stirred it for a minute. I tossed the chops in there and spooned some of the sauce over them.

Covered it with a lid and the whole thing went in the oven at 400, for about 15 minutes.

While that was cooking, I chopped and steamed some Broccolini and made a salad.

The whole dinner was ready in 30 minutes and it tasted so good!

No comments: