Monday, June 9, 2008

Diets and good food

Cooking has been rushed lately and my meals are also falling victim to my intense desire to lose a little weight. I won't "go on a diet," meaning I'm not going jump on someone's bandwagon and eliminate carbs or eat only tomato soup, or anything like that. I already eat a nutritious and varied diet, I just need to eat LESS of it.

That's really hard for me to do. But I'm working at it. And yes, I'm trying to exercise more. "Trying" being the operative word, there.

But Saturday, I made a yummy chicken meal by crushing some homemade croutons and breading the chicken with them. I browned the chicken on the stove, then transferred it to the oven to finish cooking. Mmmmm, tender and juicy. I only ate a small amount, along with a substantial helping of salad.

Then followed it up with a tiny bit of ricotta ice cream over a bite of brownie, garnished with a sliced strawberry and a few blueberries.

You see my problem.

Yesterday was my grandson's birthday and I made a lunch of lasagna (meat sauce with sliced zucchini and chopped beet greens layered with the ricotta cheese and noodles). We also had a big salad and lemon meringue pie for dessert.

This was a great meal and I had just one serving of lasagna. No dinner later, I just had a slice of whole grain bread with some hummus. That was pretty good, too.

Today I have an experiment in the crock pot, because I'm spending the day shopping for a wedding dress with my youngest daughter. That should be fun!

No comments: