Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Canning Day

Yesterday, I decided to relieve our cherry-plum trees of some of their burden. The branches were almost touching the ground, so heavily laden were they with fruit. I picked about a third of what I could reach from just one tree. The picture below is about half of what I picked.




There's enough there for about 8 small jars of preserves. I know, because I already cooked the other half and they are cooling on my counter, now:


We've never really figured out what these fruits are. They're about the size of cherries, but they definitely look like plums, inside and out. It's not a cherry pit, either - nope, it's a plum. But little ones. So we just call them cherry-plums and let it go at that.

This was my first experience using pectin. I have an extra jar that I didn't have space to boil, so when it cools, I'll have a chance to check out my attempt. I do have to say though, that the jam tastes good!



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks and sounds delicious!

I am stopping by to invite you to participate in the The Carnival of Home Preserving.

It is a Carnival to Share Recipes and How-To's for Canning, Freezing, Dehydrating (drying), and Root Cellaring of Fruits, Vegetables, and Herbs.

The first edition is posted if you would like to come visit:

Carnival of Home Preserving - July 14, 2008 Edition

http://laurawilliamsmusings.blogspot.com/2008/07/carnival-of-home-preserving-july-14.html

Submit your blog post (new or one of your archived ones that meets the above description) to the next edition of carnival of home preserving using the carnival submission form.

The Deadline to Submit is every Sunday 6pm EST

The Carnival posted by that Monday on the respective Host's blog.

Everyone is welcome to join in (beginners and experienced alike).

Laura

Marlene Dotterer said...

Thanks Laura! Your site looks great. I'll look into it more this afternoon. I would really love to belong to a canning community!

Marlene

Anonymous said...

Thanks for joining in the Carnival of Home Preserving for July 28th. Please let your readers know that the carnival is now up!